Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Good Bye, New Zealand!!!

Tomorrow is our last day in New Zealand and what an amazing time we have had!

We are sad to go and wish New Zealand was closer to Oregon. I never thought I would ever live in another country and have it feel like "home." Well, New Zealand stole our hearts.

Dunedin is a beautiful city and I will truly missing walking around town. I think I will even miss the hills!

Sophia is going to miss her friends, and her fantastic teacher, Mr. Roche. She absolutely adores him, and he is one of the best teachers I have ever encountered! (I did say one of the best)

Leah has settled into Kiwi life quite nicely and has found a nice group of friends. She has loved playing netball, and thinks it is the best sport in the world.

The girls have also enjoyed many play dates, and one of their favorite places to visit our friends, the Cotters. Charlotte, Hamish, Lucy and Grace was very friendly towards the girls and they spent hours together running around.

Stas has had some great experiences at the "Uni"- with his Kiwi colleague, Jim. He has been able to do some top quality research, in addition to advising the Willamette students.

We had a great time with the Willamette students, with several of them coming and going through our house at some time or another. They were great to have around, and they have really become part of our family!

I was able to just enjoy this experience. I have met some kind and wonderful people here, and I hope I will see them again some day. I spent hours in museums learning about New Zealand, and enjoyed reading book after book from the library. I experienced new foods (most of them great) and did some experimenting in my own kitchen! Most of my experiments were actually edible!

We have already had tears from Sophia, and Leah has already said she wants to stay until November (she still has netball and camp to come). That tells me this was a positive, enjoyable and memorable experience- which is the best outcome!

1 comment:

Linda said...

Though I know it will be tough to leave after your amazing adventures, I look forward to seeing you again and hearing more stories in person. See you soon at the 5th Street Market Cafe?

Hope your voyage home is fast and smooth!

Linda