Monday, February 22, 2010

To the LEFT!!!!!

This weekend we took our second car ride. Stas (of course) was behind the wheel, I was in front, and the girls were in the back.

A side note, for some of you who don't know: 1. I do not have the greatest sense of direction 2. I can't read a map and 3. I get carsick. Therefore, Stas was in charge of driving, and figuring out where we were heading. He, upon occasion, forgets my aversion to maps, so when it was handed to me- I politely passed it back without looking at it.

As we headed to the Botanical Gardens, Stas took a wrong turn down a dead end street. I think perhaps he was pulling over to look at the map, but the girls from the back were very helpful and told him they did not think these were the gardens. At this time, another car comes down the dead end (did I mention it was a very tiny one lane street) and apparently was trying to get into the driveway we are blocking, all the while Stas was still looking at the map. Now some of you might wonder why I wasn't helping, since I we were stopped- but please read #2 above and that will explain it all to you.

The girls politely asked several questions in the back such as: Are we lost? What is Dad doing? Is he going to turn around? What is that car doing, Mom? These questions were very pertinent and we thought how happy we are to have such inquisitive children.

Finally, Stas turned to car around, as the woman patiently waited to turn into her driveway. It's so nice that the Kiwis are such polite people. We were stopped ready to continue our journey to the gardens. The girls were chatting in the back, and I am sure I was giving Stas some helpful or supportive advice.

The coast was clear and Stas made a right turn to continue on our way. We had traveled about two blocks, and were beginning to make a sharp right around a turn, when all of a sudden Stas turned sharply to the LEFT lane. The lane we were SUPPOSED to be in! Whew! Luckily we did not hit something or someone.

Of course this jarring was quite sudden and got the girls and my attention! We of course, suggested in the future that Stas should stay on the right (actually the left) side of the road.

Stas is truly blessed to have so many ladies in the car to help him drive and give suggestions!

I wonder when we will be going on another car ride?

5 comments:

M & D said...

Hmmmmmm. Eventually, Stas will forget just how awful you are at map reading/decide that it wasn't as awful an experience as he remembers it/really, really want to go somewhere and not by himself. It may be (quite) awhile before this happens, but it will happen...I think. At least it worked that way with your Dad!

Unknown said...

That is funny! I love your blog! Does Stas read it? lol!

TinkersShop said...

Yes, Stas does read it, and he did not completely agree with the story. He said he immediately realized he was in the wrong lane (NOT) and he said the woman did not have to wait to get into the driveway.

Linda said...

I grew up in a British colony, and my husband would completely commiserate with Stas. When we were in South Africa recently, I was giving my husband directions, and kept telling him to go RIGHT, when I meant LEFT, because to me, it means turning around the corner without crossing any lanes....

Linda Atwell said...

love, love love this!