Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Who would have thought that driving on the wrong side of the road would be so complicated???

I knew that Kiwis (New Zealanders) drove on the wrong side of the road, I was prepared for that. What I was not prepared for was what that means in so many aspects of a person's life!

First, it means when crossing the road you have to look to the right first, then the left, and then the right. It might not seem to be a big deal, but as I keep looking to my left while crossing, and car will come zipping up!

Second, it means when walking on the sidewalk, you are to walk on the left side, NOT the right. Again, doesn't seem like a big deal until you realize you are used to walking one way, and the rest of the world is walking straight at you!

Third are the stairs. Again, you go up on the left, not the right. At the library, I have to remind myself, to the left, to the left, to the left. Thank goodness at the girls' school, there is a sign that reminds everyone to go up on left side. Whew!

Finally, we have the grocery store. As we were jet-lagged, tired we headed down to the store to get some food. We kept saying excuse me, pardon me, sorry- and then it dawned on me! We were going down the right side of the aisles, when we needed to be going down the left side. Ahhh!

Something so simple, but holy cow I have had to say excuse me and sorry a lot in the last week!

2 comments:

Celeste said...

It is amazing how the little things get you!

is me said...

Haaahahaa! Don't get yourself run over! You know, you're going to have the opposite problem when you get back... you'll just get used to doing everything backwards and when you get home, you'll have to relearn doing it all the (to the) right way again;}

I'm so jealous;]